You Betcha I'm a Proud Army Mom

Ramblings of an Army mom and probably some rants about the world at large. These are my ramblings and rants and no one else's. Just so you know...

My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

That's a good question...

http://www.aapavatar.net/images/Historical/rosie-flag_sm.jpg

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

More Faces of the War

The LA Times Frontpage photograph shown at Blackfive yesterday really upset me, I mean, REALLY upset me, as is very clear by my post yesterday. My first thought was for the family - seeing this photo (which is why I didn't put in my post.) To me, it's like the anti-war crowd using cardboard gravestones with the names of the fallen soldiers for their anti-war protests.

I went to the LA Times and found the video presentation they have online in the 3 part series of five wounded troops through the medical care system, "The Lifeline". (Warning - it's very graphic) I watched Part 2 and sobbed throughout the whole thing. Now having watched all 3 parts, I must say that it was well done, (mostly because they let the soldiers and doctors speak instead of the reporters, IMO). The compassion, caring and dedication that our military medics, nurses and doctors display is beyond words. It's really worth it to hear them as they work on saving our wounded. If you're a bit squeamish, just listen to the videos. And I don't have the words to describe my feelings as I listened to the soldiers themselves as they deal with the trauma of their wounds. Proud, awed, humbled doesn't even begin to cover it.

BUT, I still think that the photo on the front page was over the top. It's still the media and I still think they "opine" the news instead of "report" it. How many people just read the paper but don't go to the online series?
You can read all the articles as well as see the videos at the link above.

As I was looking for articles on Medics, I came across the this page at Defend America:
Just Incredible! Go get yourself a cup of coffee and sit back and see a lot of photos you won't see on the front page of any newspaper.

Combat Camera - Military Photographers on the Frontlines

Army Staff Sgt. Russell Lee Klika

U.S. Navy Petty Officer 1st Class Chad McNeeley

U.S. Navy Petty Officer 1st Class Arlo Abrahamson

U.S. Navy Petty Officer 1st Class Aaron Ansarov

U.S. Air Force Staff Sgt. Cherie A. Thurlby

U.S. Navy Petty Officer 1st Class Brien Aho

U.S. Air Force Tech. Sgt. Bret Irwin
Videographer of the Year

U.S. Air Force Staff Sgt. Stacy Pearsall
Photographer of the Year



I also found the history of the 187th MEDICAL BATTALION, 32d BRIGADE. This was the battalion that Devon was part of at Ft. Sam Houston while she was going through AIT in the Veterinarian Corps.

"OUR MISSION: The mission of the Battalion S1, S3 is to provide the most outstanding customer service and support possible to our soldiers. We are dedicated and committed to providing prompt, professional, courteous service and doing our part to support the unit's mission."



U.S. ARMY VETERINARY COMMAND


"THE VETERINARY CORPS has assumed new roles and responsibilities not only in animal medicine, but in public health matters and comparative medicine, as a fullfledged member of the Army Health Care Team. Army veterinarians are vital to the management and care of laboratory animal resources and studies, and biomedical research and development. Veterinary officers are assigned wherever food hygiene and nutritional quality, preventive medicine, or animal medicine or research is conducted."




For those that face incredible dangers to make sure our wounded (2 legged and 4 legged) get home alive, I thank you!