You Betcha I'm a Proud Army Mom

Ramblings of an Army mom and probably some rants about the world at large. These are my ramblings and rants and no one else's. Just so you know...

My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

That's a good question...

http://www.aapavatar.net/images/Historical/rosie-flag_sm.jpg

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Final Salute


“You always hear all these statements like ‘Freedom isn’t free’. You hear the President talking about all these people making sacrifices. But you never really know until you carry one of them in the casket. When you feel their body weight. When you feel them, that’s when you know. That’s when you understand.”
Sgt. Kevin Thomas of Aurora
After a week or so of what seems like an inordinant amount of bad mouthing, slandering, military bashing, and just plain nastiness, I came across this post at Blue Star Chronicles, "Final Salute" this morning. Beth has a very good comparison of the UCSC protesters and the Marines and soldiers that come home for their final rest. It's something that is near to her heart as her son is headed over to the sandbox soon. As she calls it, "the 600 lb elephant in my house."
Every Blue Star family lives with that elephant every day and night, whether it's just a shadow on the horizon (as in my case), or it's sitting smack dab in the middle of the livingroom, at the dinner table, in the bedroom.
The Gold Star families live with the elephant forever.
(If you choose to follow the links and watch the presentation with the article, bring a box of tissues.)
So for a bunch of priviledged students of an institution of higher learning to "spit" on our military in the name of their "rights", as they did the other day at UCSC, and not seeing the irony of their doing so as the military is there to defend their "rights" and freedoms...well, I won't write the words that come to mind as they are very, very bad words.
And to know that most of the administration at this institution of higher learning supports their cause makes the knot in my stomach tighten even further.
Another reason why I want to move out of this area.
So I baked up a big batch of cookies and took it up to my guys - mostly just wanting to check in with them and let them know I'm watching.
It's more than time for us to show our support for our military every day, in every way we can, whether it's a simple thank you said to a veteran we see in the store or a big box of home you sent over to the sandbox to a soldier you don't even know. The anti-war, anti-military crowd are loud, we need to let our presence be known just as well. Of course, we will be much quieter about it and the media will ignore us. But as long as the troops know that we support them and that there are a large number of us, that's all that matters. Because they are what matters.
To all the Moms and Dads who are living with the elephant:
A Parent's Prayer
I held you as I watched your eyes fill up with tears.
Now those eyes are watchful as the enemy draws near.
I took the training wheels off and you were finally free!
Now you speed your hummer on the watch for IEDs.
The little hands that gripped the bat and swung with all their might,
Now sweat upon the rifle which depends your life.
You and your friends were laughing as you headed into town.
Now you pray they're not the ones beneath the mortar round.
I used to pick you up and hold you every time you fell.
Now I only pray for you as you go through hell.
My prayer for you used to be that you would grow up strong.
That you would always love your God and strive to do no wrong.
Now I pray for safety as you are in harm's way
For Him to bring you back to me to love another day.
But if God takes you from me to your post in the sky
I'll see you when it's my time in His sweet by and by.
David Dunham 2006
(used with permission)
To all the wives and husbands:
THE SILENT RANKS
I WEAR NO UNIFORMS, NO BLUES OR ARMY GREENS.
BUT I AM IN THE MILITARY IN THE RANKS RARELY SEEN.
I HAVE NO RANK UPON MY SHOULDERS.
SALUTES I DO NOT GIVE.
BUT THE MILITARY WORLD IS THE PLACE I LIVE.
I'M NOT IN THE CHAIN OF COMMAND, ORDERS I DO NOT GET.
BUT MY HUSBAND IS THE ONE WHO DOES,
THIS I CANNOT FORGET.
I'M NOT THE ONE WHO FIRES THE WEAPON,
WHO PUTS MY LIFE ON THE LINE.
BUT MY JOB IS JUST AS TOUGH.
I'M THE ONE THAT'S LEFT BEHIND.
MY HUSBAND IS A PATRIOT,
A BRAVE AND PRIDEFUL MAN.
AND THE CALL TO SERVE HIS COUNTRY
NOT ALL CAN UNDERSTAND.
BEHIND THE LINES I SEE THE THINGS
NEEDED TO KEEP THIS COUNTRY FREE.
MY HUSBAND MAKES THE SACRIFICE,
BUT SO DO OUR KIDS AND ME.
I LOVE THE MAN I MARRIED.
SOLDIERING IS HIS LIFE.
AND I STAND AMONG THE SILENT RANKS
KNOWN AS THE MILITARY WIFE.
(I don't know who wrote this)
To all the children:
OUR TIME TOGETHER

Daddy, you don’t know me yet.
There’s no way that you can.
While I’m busy growing you’re off in
a foreign land.

I’m sorry that they sent you there
It wasn’t the best plan
But unborn, I’m still proud of you,
you’re the best kind of man.

I know you’ll miss the kind of things
A father needs to see;
Like tummies growing lovingly
And sonograms of me;

Rubbing mommy’s aching back,
Holding her tenderly,
Listening to my heartbeat;
And that first kick from me.

We’ll have our time together, though,
Just like you’d always planned
I dream about the way I’ll feel when first I
touch your hand.

So don’t you let the time we missed
Keep you from careful plans.
Bring my Daddy back to me as quickly as
you can!

David E. Dunham - Copyright 2006
To our military:
OF THIS NATION

Grand flag of this nation, in freedom flies
Hued red, white, and blue, capturing eyes
The brave of this nation, marching by row
Determined in mission, each foe shall know

Our way has survived, because of their will
Don't ever forget, this fact you should drill
Take life at this moment, hold memories firm
For lessons well learned, should be long-term
Be proud of this nation, do well by your days
Hold God in your vision, don't live in a maze
Take love from the heart, do spread it today
Such wealth held inside, is cause for dismay
Stay mindful of those who put all on the line
Support them, do help them, don't be off-line
God Bless all fine people, good deeds they do
Hold on to what's right, a great point of view

©Copyright February 2005
by Roger J. Robicheau
(used with permission)
(I apologize for the messy html - I tried 3 times to get the spacing right and it just doesn't wnat to cooperate.)