You Betcha I'm a Proud Army Mom

Ramblings of an Army mom and probably some rants about the world at large. These are my ramblings and rants and no one else's. Just so you know...

My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

That's a good question...

http://www.aapavatar.net/images/Historical/rosie-flag_sm.jpg

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

"Don't Shoot The Messenger!"

I happened to catch a part of the The Today Show this morning. I do not seek out this show but my husband turns it on to catch the weather and traffic reports. I'm usually in another room sitting at the computer, reading Milblogs. I tend to start my day off enraged if I watch the morning "news" shows. So I don't very often. And today was no exception. The first whiney story about the journalistic travails that caught my ear was "The Perils of Covering News on Iraq".

Richard Engel "reports" on all the dangers of "reporting" in this dangerous area. He did mention a school opening but picked the one (out of how many?) that had bombs go off in the area. "Just paying bills" finds you heading into an explosion. (Every time?) His final analysis of the perils is that "The security problem is the overall story" and "Most Iraqis I speak with say most reporters get it wrong. The situation on the ground is actually worse than images we project on television."

You can catch the video here:
http://video.msn.com/v/us/msnbc.htm?g=f7205c93-8c17-4079-a149-04deb377a84b&f=00

Then Tim Russert came on to give his opinion on Katie Couric's question, "Does the President have a legitimate gripe about the media's coverage of the war, or do you think the media is being used as a scapegoat as public support of this war continues to erode?"
You can watch his analysis here:

Bottom line is "We cover the good and the bad." (I guess it depends on your definition of good and bad...)

http://video.msn.com/v/us/msnbc.htm?g=9bcc43f8-5e81-472f-b869-538fce3efcfa&f=00

Okay, by now I'm holding my head in my hands and growling. Apparently, this was a rebuttal to Laura Ingraham and James Carville's go-me-round yesterday. I hadn't seen that so I went to the web to look up more on this. My, my!
"Is America getting a fair picture of what is happening in Iraq?" is the question David Gregory asked of them. It turned into a shouting match. Surprise!
You can watch the video here:

http://www.exposetheleft.com/2005/12/20/carvill/

Bill O'Reilly had Laura Ingraham on his show Tuesday evening to hear her views on NBC after her "battle" with Gregory and Carville.

Noel Sheppard has the video and parts of the transcript on his blog:

http://newsbusters.org/node/4565

My favorite part:

Bill: Here's my problem. And this is a serious problem. We saw it at the top of the show with what's her name who was bantering with Bush, the older woman, Helen Thomas. I believe that there is a segment of the media trying to undermine the policy in Iraq for their own ideological purposes. It is no longer dissent, it’s no longer skepticism. It's “we want to undermine it,” and that disturbs me. Do you see that?

Laura: I see that pretty much every day, that there is a group of people who are invested in America's defeat, in one of the most important conflicts in our nation's history. And being invested in defeat as an American -- I don't care if you're a reporter, a commentator or a businessperson. How have we gotten to this point in this country? Regardless of what people think of Bush…

Bill: Because of hatred. Ideological hatred brings us to that point. Last question: Is NBC in that category? Do you think NBC news is actively trying to undermine the war in Iraq?

Laura: You know, I'm going to keep watching it. You know, I know there are brave people. David Bloom was over there covering the war when he died practically.
Bill: So you don’t know whether they are or not?


Laura: I don’t know. I think the media obviously has an element underneath it that really despises Bush and it's blinding them.

Bill: Alright. I think you're absolutely right on that. I think there is an element in the media that has gone way beyond dissent and into actually undermining American policy in the war on terror, and it's frightening.

Yup, I'm PO'd by now. My question is - why are we even having to have this discussion? Why is the media so bent on making this such a negative situation in the first place? It is a total disservice to the men and women over there serving their country. I could spit nails!!
Instead of building up morale, these supposedly "professional" reporters are doing their damndest to make sure everyone in the world knows that it's all going to the dogs and the US is losing and there will be no victory - EVER!
I'm so friggin' disgusted by the whole attitude of these people that use their jobs as reporters to further their political agendas. And it's not so much what they report; it's what they don't report. How key parts of stories are left out because they don't fit the spin. Mudville Gazette and Blackfive point these discrepencies out all the time. I hear that soldiers are glad when they hear (and it's not often enough IMO) that people at home support them. How surprised they are when they get a card in the mail that is thanking them for what they do. That just breaks my heart to think of a young kid over there getting shot at and mortared "just doing his or her job" and watching news and seeing all the reporters and talking heads moaning and groaning and trying to find everything that's wrong with our military. Then there's all the coverage of the ant-war %$@* factions (I'm really having trouble keeping this family friendly here) but how often do we get to hear from parents who are proud of their kids for serving? Oh no! We get to listen to report after report of the likes of "that woman" and these people. I'm so sick of it!

See, this is why I don't watch the morning "news" shows.