You Betcha I'm a Proud Army Mom

Ramblings of an Army mom and probably some rants about the world at large. These are my ramblings and rants and no one else's. Just so you know...

My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

That's a good question...

http://www.aapavatar.net/images/Historical/rosie-flag_sm.jpg

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Lordy, Lordy, Lordy

I've been busy getting ready to head down south today for Ned's Mom's memorial service this Saturday. Blogging here might be light for the next few days, depending on the hotel's internet connection...
We had to rent a vehicle because my car is still in the shop. Argghhh! The warranty people are wrangling about what they will cover, even though is it apparent to my mechanic that this has been a long standing problem that was not brought about by anything we did. My mechanic is very good and we have been taking all our trucks and cars there for years. I bought the car from their used cars lot because I trust them. Now tell me how these warranty people, sitting in an office somewhere not here, can decide that my mechanic doesn't know diddly and that what is wrong with my car will not be covered by the warranty we gave them money for! So while they are hemming and hawing, going back and forth with my very good mechanic, my car sits in the lot, NOT fixed. It's been over 2 weeks now. Bah!

My Baby Girl is very homesick. She called yesterday saying she's over this Army thing and doesn't want to do it anymore ~
Remember your first year away from home? I wouldn't go back there for all the money in the world! Talk about not knowing anything! And seemingly having to know everything. It was all so overwhelming and I wasn't even in the Military with a zillion rules and regs. So many firsts! So much strangeness.
And now I'm the Mom. It's so hard to hear my baby sounding so sad and unhappy. Now I know that it's mostly the fact that she just moved to the 3rd strange place in 6 months and she doesn't know anyone and she's still a newbie soldier. But, for the past 18 years I've been making everything alright for her and helping her take care of all the situations that would come up. Now, I can only give her Mommy pep talks and tell her it will get better. To hang in there and do the best she can. I feel so helpless. But I also realize that it is time for her to take on her own life and handle what's in front of her or she'll never learn how. That is the hardest part! For both of us.
It's like watching her learn to walk all over again. Letting her go and take those falls without holding her hand. And that's what I spent all those years trying to accomplish ~ her being able to go forward into her life on her own two feet. Her confidence will only come through experience. Her knowledge will only come through her doing the task herself. Her success will only come through her own sweat and sometimes, tears.
But every Mommy cell in my body is screaming to go to Georgia and get her and bring her home. But I won't. No, I'll stay here and take care of what's in front of me. Of course, my cell phone is all charged and attached to my hip and my laptop is all charged and going south with me. I may not be going to Georgia but I will always be at the other end of the line.

Nope, I wouldn't go through that time of life again for anything!