You Betcha I'm a Proud Army Mom

Ramblings of an Army mom and probably some rants about the world at large. These are my ramblings and rants and no one else's. Just so you know...

My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

That's a good question...

http://www.aapavatar.net/images/Historical/rosie-flag_sm.jpg

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Happy Birthday To Our First President




"To the memory of the Man, first in war, first in peace, and first in the hearts of his countrymen." So wrote Congressman Henry Lee in 1799, upon the death of George Washington. Lee, who was better known as "Light Horse Harry" Lee, was a hero of the Revolutionary War and a friend of Washington's. His famous words accurately described the feelings of Americans for their first president.
Washington's role in the creation of the United States was almost without equal. He led the American forces during the long and difficult years of the Revolutionary War that won independence from Britain. He presided at the Constitutional Convention that established the framework of the new government of the United States, and then, as its first president, helped determine what form the presidency would take. Having accepted his country's highest office with reluctance, Washington served two terms and then returned to the life he most loved, that of a farmer and planter.


Quotes ~

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

"The constitution vests the power of declaring war in Congress; therefore no offensive expedition of importance can be undertaken until after they shall have deliberated upon the subject and authorized such a measure."

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments."

"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace."

"When we assumed the Soldier, we did not lay aside the Citizen."


"My mother was the most beautiful woman I ever saw. All I am I owe to my mother. I attribute all my success in life to the moral, intellectual and physical education I received from her. "