You Betcha I'm a Proud Army Mom

Ramblings of an Army mom and probably some rants about the world at large. These are my ramblings and rants and no one else's. Just so you know...

My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

That's a good question...

http://www.aapavatar.net/images/Historical/rosie-flag_sm.jpg

Sunday, January 29, 2006

A Long Week

Ned's coming home today. I knew I'd reached my level of tolerance for his being away last night when I found myself eating 4 huge cookies when 1 or 2 would have been sufficient. I miss him!
It's been hard not being with him during this time even though we talked to each other every day. We had decided it was best for me to stay here and handle the business so that would be one less thing for him to worry about while tending to his Mom.
This family has had quite a year in this area. I lost my Dad a year ago, Ned lost his brother in August and now his Mom. Ya know, I really don't like this part of the grown up thing...

My Dad lived to be 2 weeks shy of 84. We talked quite abit about his time of life. He had buried all his buddies. His body wasn't working so good anymore which was very hard on him as he was a very active person. He was tired. I'm just so thankful that his mind was still sharp as a tack - we had such marvelous conversations about life, death, politics and idiots. It's such a wonderful thing to be able to talk to your parent as an adult and get to know them as a person.

"When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years." Mark Twain

Well, it took me being a bit older than 21 before I realized how wise my Dad was - as he so sweetly put it, "you were just a bit confused then". A bit??!! I was on overload with confusion!
It wasn't until I became a parent myself, that I finally started to put the pieces together and became a responsible and capable person. (thank god Devon was a spunky little person!) And I owe alot of that to Dad being the person he was and the things he did. He didn't say alot but he lived his life a certain way and that's what stuck. I'm grateful that some part of me was watching even though it took me awhile to notice.

The world shifts a bit when someone leaves us ~ it is never the same. There are threads in the fabric that suddenly end and go no further. The threads will always be a part of the whole fabric of life but the fabric itself will not be the same. And that's Life.

My mother in law's thread also runs through the fabric of my life and will always be there even though it has ended for now. She was an active, curious and intelligent woman. We also had quite a few interesting conversations and she gave me insight into situations that cropped up, even if we didn't always agree. Or should I say, especially when we didn't agree! I will miss that.

Till The End
We start each day, without a clue
Not knowing what, news might ensue
The future stays, around the bend
To hide what's coming, till the end
Just thought should conquer, as we move
Results to make, our God approve
We mold ourselves, along the way
Do strive for Him, each livelong day
While marching for, eternal rest
Keep goodness close, don't be a pest
So when that last act, comes to be
The home will shine, real heavenly
(with permission)
Ned and I want to thank everyone for your kind thoughts and comments!! So very much appreciated ~
(5 more days until I see Devon!)
.