You Betcha I'm a Proud Army Mom

Ramblings of an Army mom and probably some rants about the world at large. These are my ramblings and rants and no one else's. Just so you know...

My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

That's a good question...

http://www.aapavatar.net/images/Historical/rosie-flag_sm.jpg

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

How Not To Ask An Army Mom For Money

The phone rang last night about 7:30 pm and I jumped up to answer it thinking it was Devon calling. It wasn't, she called a little later.

This is the conversation that ensued:

Me: Hello
Person: May I speak to a parent or guardian of Devon M~ (he mispronounced Devon's name)
Me: This is her mother. How can I help you?
Person: This is So-n-So from Cabrillo College (our local 2 yr college) and we're having a fundraiser to try to raise money by asking teachers and parents of students if they could donate....
Me: Well, My daughter isn't a student. She's in the Army.
Person: OH NO!!! (extreme angst)
Me: Oh Yes.
Person: Oh no! Was this the Recruiters? ( a slight growl in his voice) Umm... Was it because of the Recruiters that come to the campus??? ( I thought he was going to have a heart attack)
Me: It was by recruiting, yes. Recruiters who came to her high school campus and she (emphasis on "she") went up to them.
Person: Oh...Ummm...Sweet!!!! Umm, well, I guess we need them. (not sounding at all convinced)
Me: Yes, we do.
Person: Oh, that's...(confused mumbling) Thank you, Goodbye.

And he hung up.

I never did find out what they were raising the money for...