You Betcha I'm a Proud Army Mom

Ramblings of an Army mom and probably some rants about the world at large. These are my ramblings and rants and no one else's. Just so you know...

My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

That's a good question...

http://www.aapavatar.net/images/Historical/rosie-flag_sm.jpg

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Blue Star Families


"The Blue Star Banner shows that someone in this home is proudly serving in the United States Armed Forces.
The Blue Star Banner is properly displayed in a front window of the home. It should be hung inside, not outside."

"The Blue Star Service Banner was designed and patented in 1917 by World War I Army Capt. Robert L. Queissner of the 5th Ohio Infantry who had two sons serving on the front line. It quickly became the unofficial symbol of a child in the service.

On Sept. 24, 1917, an Ohio congressman read the following into the Congressional Record:
“…The mayor of Cleveland, the Chamber of Commerce and the governor of Ohio have adopted this service flag. The world should know of those who give so much for liberty. The dearest thing in all the world to a father and mother - their children.”

Other websites or blogs that might be helpful in learning more about Blue Star Banners include:
Blue Star Mothers of America
Blue Star Moms
American Gold Star Mothers
America Supports You
Directions for making a Blue Star Banner Quilt (believe it or not)

I have a Blue Star Banner displayed in my front window. I put it up the week that Devon left for Basic Training.

I have always loved the concept of the banner from the first time I saw it in an old WWII movie I watched as a kid. My Dad and I spent many a Sunday afternoon watching the old black & white movies where John Wayne, Henry Fonda, and David Niven, to name a few, fought the Germans and Japanese. But my favorite ones were the movies about the homefront ~ how the mothers and wives coped at home, not hearing from their soldiers for months or years. There was usually a banner hanging in the window, some with one star, many with 2, 3, 4 or 5 stars.
I display it proudly because it symbolizes the incredible path my daughter has taken.

It's unfortuante that not too many people know the significance of the banner. And I just love explaining it to them when they ask.

So if you see a Blue Star Banner in a window, know that that family has raised a son or daughter that understands the meaning of the word "service".
And if you see a Gold Star Banner, know that that family has given the Ultimate Sacrifice to our Country.


(Beth ~ I have been trying to get this on my sidebar...please help me!)
(And thank you for the post!!)