You Betcha I'm a Proud Army Mom

Ramblings of an Army mom and probably some rants about the world at large. These are my ramblings and rants and no one else's. Just so you know...

My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

That's a good question...

http://www.aapavatar.net/images/Historical/rosie-flag_sm.jpg

Sunday, December 11, 2005

Christmas vs Holiday

I've been reading alot about the "War on Christmas" lately and I came across Akinoluna's post this morning "Bigfoot the Holiday Snoopy Scrooge":

"Bigfoot, one of the contractors who lives in our compound, declared that he hates Christmas and the holiday season in general. Unfortunately for him, he made his declaration only one or two days prior to the transformation of the Dusty Half-tent Office into Dusty Snoopy Winter Wonderland Office. The "You've gotta be joking me" look on his face when he walked in that evening was priceless.

He sent an email to MSgt Pincushion today saying some not-so-nice things about it including something along the lines of, "Isn't this an example of government and religion mixing together?" MSgt Pincushion laughed and said to me, "Last time I checked, Snoopy and Woodstock weren't religious symbols!" And neither are rest of my decorations, the tinsel, reindeer, snowman, strings of lights, bows, candy canes or paper fold-out and fiber-optic I-used-to-be-pagan Christmas trees.

Christmas may have started out as a religious holiday and remains so for a lot people, but for the most part it has turned into "the holiday season of giving" because Christmas isn't the only religious holiday occurring during this time of year. And saying "Happy Holidays" isn't an attack on Christmas, it's an acknowledgment of the other not-as-widespread-but-still-celebrated holidays. As far as I'm concerned, the more holidays the merrier!

Poor Scrooge can just take his fake beer and go sit alone in his room if he doesn't like the Snoopy Snowglobe. It's not like we are trying to drag him to the Snoopy Temple to pray to Lord Snoopy.

You'll have to excuse me now, it's time to go plug in the Evil Holiday Lights."

Read the original Snoopy Globe post here.

I have to say that this is the best post on it I have read.

~K over at "life with me in it" also addresses this in a wonderful way.

She posts the First Amendment to the US Consitution:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion,or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom ofspeech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably toassemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
~First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution

Keyword here ~ "thereof". Not "therefrom"...

I left this comment on ~K's post:

So don't put up a Christmas tree in your house if you aren't Christian. But please, don't try to make me change the name of my Christmas tree in my house. I'm celebrating the message of the season. Join me or don't.


I'm fed up with the disgruntled few trying to take away from so many others.

Now let the games begin ~