You Betcha I'm a Proud Army Mom

Ramblings of an Army mom and probably some rants about the world at large. These are my ramblings and rants and no one else's. Just so you know...

My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

That's a good question...

http://www.aapavatar.net/images/Historical/rosie-flag_sm.jpg

Monday, December 05, 2005

Christmas Lights

I love going out at night and looking at the Christmas lights people put up. Seems as if this year, alot more people are getting into the spirit! I just never have been able to reconcile Christmas lights on the palm trees, even though I have lived in CA for over 20 years. Still gives me the giggles. N~ and I went shopping for the rest of the gifts last night. Most of the stores are decorated with trees and lights and automated figures. I used to love the automated figures of elves, reindeer and Mr. and Mrs. Santa Claus our hometown department store had on display in their windows. My Mom and Dad would take us downtown every year to see them as soon as they were put up. It's good to see them making a comeback. Though I can't help but think that kids these days don't experience the same level of wonder that we had as kids - we of the black and white TVs with 3 (maybe) channels.
We decided to get our shopping done first, then start decorating the house. We're going to go all out this year so D~ comes home to a Christmas wonderland. N~ made me promise I would help him with the outside lights and things. He said it's no fun doing it alone. Awww! How could I refuse?
So I'm spending the next couple of days wrapping and boxing up all the gifts that need to be mailed. That's one of my most favorite things to do! I put on my special Christmas CD's, clear the livingroom floor (of guitars and amps and dog toys) and start wrapping. Then off to the Post Office I'll go. We have a great Post Office across town. The people there are always so helpful and also supportive of our soldiers. They make sure I have all the FRB's (flat rate boxes) that I need and always ask if it's a birthday box so that they can put the special birthday stamp on it. I so appreciate that, especially in this town of anti-everything.
Next we'll get the decorations down and go get the tree. When D~ was little, we had a yearly tradition - we'd go to the Christmassy store and pick out another figurine for the Creche. Or two. We have alot now - pretty much enough for a whole village. I'll have to start getting buildings next.
D~ and I would also string popcorn and cranberries for the tree every year. This year I'll make N~ help me! (oh, yeah - right!) Well, at least the cats will help (?) and the dogs will clean up the popcorn off the floor. Not the cranberries though. Nope, don't like the cranberries. There have been many years where we had to fishing line the tree to the wall, so that the kittens wouldn't knock it over as they scrambled up the trunk. Fortunetly, the cats we have now are mature now and don't much go in for Christmas tree climbing. And I can happily say our boy dog has never once peed on the tree. Of course, now that I said that, he probably will this year...

A Christmas Recipe

1 cup water
1 cup of sugar
4 large eggs
2 cups dried fruit
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup brown sugar
lemon juice
nuts
1 gallon whiskey

Sample the whiskey to check for quality. Take a large bowl. Check the whiskey again to be sure it is of the highest quality. Pour one level cup and drink. Repeat. Turn on the electric mixer; beat 1 cup butter in a large, fluffy bowl. Add 1 teaspoon sugar and beat again. Make sure the whiskey is still OK. Cry another tup. Turn off mixer. Break 2 legs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried fruit. Mix on the turner. If the fried druit gets stuck in the beaterers,
pry it loose with a drewscriver. Sample the whiskey to check for tonsisticity. Next, sift 2 cups of salt. Or something, Who cares. Check the whiskey. Now sift the lemon juice and strain your nuts. Add one table. Spoon. Of sugar or something. Whatever you can find.
Grease the oven. Turn the cake tin to 350 degrees.
Don't forget to beat off the turner. Throw the bowl out of the window. Check the whiskey again.
Go to bed.
Who the hell likes fruitcake anyway?

Merry Christmas!! And Happy Baking!