You Betcha I'm a Proud Army Mom

Ramblings of an Army mom and probably some rants about the world at large. These are my ramblings and rants and no one else's. Just so you know...

My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

That's a good question...

http://www.aapavatar.net/images/Historical/rosie-flag_sm.jpg

Thursday, October 06, 2005

A Rant

Ok, I don't know what happened to my blog - why the posts show up so far down. Being the technical wizard (not!) I am ~ I hope to figure it out and make it STOP doing that!

Well, I had lunch with my recruiters yesterday. I needed a camouflage hug. I had spent the morning baking up a bunch of goodies to take to them. So when I took them up to the office, I asked Sgt W if he had had lunch yet. He said no and Sgt.Y popped out and yelled "Field Trip!" Then we met one of the other recruiters coming in and he just turned right around and joined us. As we walked into the restaurant, the people there got quiet and stared at us like we were from another planet. I thought, "Oh, wouldn't it be great if someone said thank you to the soldiers." I've heard of that happening. That would be so cool (esp. since my guys were having a rather frustrating day at the office...) But no...they just looked down at their plates or looked away as I met their eyes with a smile. I was furious inside. My guys just kept walking to our table not showing that they noticed or anything. I wanted to go up to these people and shake them! And say "Don't you realize what these soldiers represent? The sacrifices they've made and are still making?" Apparently, they don't or they would have gotten up, shaken their hands and thanked them. I just don't get it. All I can think is that we've gotten so complacent in this country, that we can forget what happened to the Twin Towers so soon. That we can just put it in the back of our minds and not get the hateful message behind that terrorist act. That we are not outraged more. That we are not actively letting the Troops know that we're grateful that they do what they say is just "their job". No, blaming Bush is easier - though the fact that this all started way before Bush became President doesn't seem to matter. That maybe, just maybe, we as Joe Q. Citizen, don't know the whole situation. That it's easier to bash America than to be part of the solution. To lift our heads out of the mire of entitlement and elitism. We are not "entitled" to anything. The freedoms we have in this country came on the backs of people who were willing to fight for them. And the men and women in our military keep fighting to protect these freedoms. Because it is not a universal edict that we have these freedoms just because we're the United states Of America. There are a lot of people that would like to see us lose what we have. So keep being complacent but you might want to think about learning a second language.